I’ve known about vaasnet for quite a while. Basically, vaasnet is a way to almost instantly (OK, it took about 4 seconds to come up) grab a fresh VM (currently 99 cents an hour), do a bunch of stuff and go away. My bunch of stuff was I need to download a bittorrent file that was about 5 gig and I know if I do it from either home or over my hotspot, bad things will happen. If I do it at home, Comcast will send me a letter accusing me of stealing something, and if I use my Verizon hotspot, well, it’s a 5 gig per month plan. You do the math.
Back to vaasnet. Here is my experience today:
- 30 seconds to put my credit card it
- 4 seconds to boot a general purpose workstation
- 5 seconds to RDP into it
- 2 minutes to download bit torrent
- 35 minutes to have bit torrent download a 5 gig file!
- 35 minutes to have bit torrent download a 5 gig file (had to say it twice)
- 1 minute to transfer the file to my ORCSWeb server I already have
- $1.70 billed to my credit card.
I think that about says it all. OK, maybe not it all.
I’ll be back!
OK, now that says it all.