Lots of trial and error, however I think I finally have a repeatable process to install Windows 8 Preview on my Lenovo W520 Laptop Computer. First, some things that don’t work.
- Use the NVidia drivers included with Windows Update
- Use the NVidia drivers on the NVidia site
- Use the Lenovo ThinkVantage System Update
And, for what does work.
- Set the bios mode to Discreet Mode
- Boot from the USB key provided at BUILD
- Make sure to skip installing the NVidia drivers on Windows Update
- ReBoot a lot. After every possible prompt and update install
- Download Just the NVidia Video driver from the Lenovo Web site
- Don’t accept the second choice for more installation stuff when the NVidia driver prompts after about 15 minutes
What I Have:
- Display Port Attached to Dell 3007 (2560×1600)
- VGA Port Attached to Dell 20” monitor (1600×1200)
- Built In Video on W520 (1920×1200)
And, yes, all three at the same time (see below picture.
I’m still trying to find some kind of touch device that will let me do Metro type stuff.
Hope this helps!